The Sky Is Not Blue!

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » The Sky Is Not Blue!

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

No0ne

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2009 01:02 pm
:deep-thought:"Light" is simply one of many different kinds of electromagnetic radiation's (disturbances) that travel through the universe in the form of waves at a fixed speed of 2.9978x 10cm/sec in free space.

:deep-thought:Technically light is not color due to the fact that the electromagnetic waves in the wave lengths of visible light range from about 30/1,000,000 of an inch in the red end to about 16/1,000,000 of an inch in the violet end excite certain nerve endings in the retina of the eye, which then the impulses transmitted to the brain from those nerves give rise to the imagenation (sensation) of "color" & "light". (I didnt express the wave lenght's in units of angstrom's because I like the numbers 1,3,6,.)

:detective:So technically the sky is not blue, any color, or any other hue and science proved it to you.
(Also all humans are physicaly not any shade, tint, color, ect...)

*.*Physicaly colorless, thoughtfully colorfull, o sweet sweet duality*.*

Theaetetus

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2009 01:13 pm
@No0ne,
But the sky usually appears blue. Sure the sky is not blue just as an apple isn't red or green, but to normal human experience, we see those colors when looking at these things.

No0ne

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2009 01:42 pm
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus wrote:
But the sky usually appears blue. Sure the sky is not blue just as an apple isn't red or green, but to normal human experience, we see those colors when looking at these things.

nice twist.....................................

Poseidon

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2009 03:25 pm
@No0ne,
Why is the sky blue? : graphs and pictures

nameless

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2009 03:33 pm
@No0ne,
No0ne;59915 wrote:
:deep-thought:"Light" is simply one of many different kinds of electromagnetic radiation's (disturbances) that travel through the universe in the form of waves at a fixed speed of 2.9978x 10cm/sec in free space.

:deep-thought:Technically light is not color due to the fact that the electromagnetic waves in the wave lengths of visible light range from about 30/1,000,000 of an inch in the red end to about 16/1,000,000 of an inch in the violet end excite certain nerve endings in the retina of the eye, which then the impulses transmitted to the brain from those nerves give rise to the imagenation (sensation) of "color" & "light". (I didnt express the wave lenght's in units of angstrom's because I like the numbers 1,3,6,.)

:detective:So technically the sky is not blue, any color, or any other hue and science proved it to you.

The sky is, for me, as I perceive it, whatever color; the sky of your perception is as you perceive it, etc...
The complete 'sky' can only be known as the sum-total of all Perspectives.
There is no "the" sky that you can perceive other than your own, moment a moment, perceptions. I have seen all sorts of colors depending on the moment, as does everyone...
Of course, beyond your nose neither is there sky nor any color/'light' at all. Beyond your nose is absolute darkness, absolute silence, etc...

manored

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2009 09:02 am
@No0ne,
No0ne wrote:

I think you are forgetting a fundamental point:

What is color?

Color is, for me, one of the things I perceive through my vision. (Could give a better concept but color is soooo hard to explain Smile )

What it means to atribuite a color to an object?

For me, its means to say that you perceive that object with that color.

Therefore the sky is, yes, blue, except then it is being black, red, grey or whatever.

xris

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2009 10:45 am
@manored,
I read somewhere that art experts have claimed a certain blue it appears was invisible to medieval man.The chemistry of the artist could have produced this colour but they never used it.It was a kind of magenta, i believe.
It makes you think did we recognise colours more clearly when we started appreciating beauty.We needed colour sense to distinguish poisons and subtle changes in shades of fruit.We might have learnt to recognise more and more the slight changes in shades of colour as we became more responsive to our surroundings.Just a thought.

validity

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2009 07:46 pm
@No0ne,
The Sky Is Not Blue!

Colour, being a perception, is restricted to the mind. While it is true to say that outside the mind the sky has no colour, with similar reasoning you have to go a step further and say that outside the mind, there is no sky.

Elmud

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 07:46 pm
@No0ne,
In the big city where I grew up, the sky is a light brown. Makes for a good sunset though.

No0ne

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2009 02:23 pm
@Elmud,
:shifty:It's a tricky statement which can be technicaly proven by meany mean's.

:detective:Stand on the roof of a skyscraper and look off the side at the ground. Surly sky between you and the ground is not blue or any other color.

ibrahiml

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2009 04:45 am
@No0ne,
Interesting Subject..
Been for two hours starring at the blue sky, wondering about its color..
haha

---------- Post added at 02:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 PM ----------

Nice Argument,
I have been starring at the skies for two hours wondering about its color

manored

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2009 09:44 am
@No0ne,
No0ne wrote:
:shifty:It's a tricky statement which can be technicaly proven by meany mean's.

:detective:Stand on the roof of a skyscraper and look off the side at the ground. Surly sky between you and the ground is not blue or any other color.
Its blue. I know it because then I look up I see the same thing from wich the sky bellow is made, and I know its blue Smile

xris

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2009 10:59 am
@manored,
manored wrote:
Its blue. I know it because then I look up I see the same thing from wich the sky bellow is made, and I know its blue Smile
You need a good memory in the UK to know the sky is blue.

manored

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 01:14 pm
@xris,
xris wrote:
You need a good memory in the UK to know the sky is blue.
Climb a mountain, get a plane, something Smile

Bones-O

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 12:25 pm
@No0ne,
Saying 'the sky is blue' is the same as saying 'the wavelength of electromagnetic radiation scattered roughly vertically downwards from the atmosphere toward the Earth's surface lies roughly between 450 and 500 nanometres'. So the sky is blue.

validity

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 03:49 pm
@Bones-O,
Bones-O! wrote:
Saying 'the sky is blue' is the same as saying 'the wavelength of electromagnetic radiation scattered roughly vertically downwards from the atmosphere toward the Earth's surface lies roughly between 450 and 500 nanometres'. So the sky is blue.
I the perception of blue is linked to the wavelength range 450nm to 500nm by our consciousness. I do not think that wavelengths carry the property of colour. If it did then what is the colour of radio waves or gamma rays? If light coming from a source at the event horizon of the black hole, is percieved by an observer far from the black hole, as redshifted to infinite wavelength, what is the colour of an infinite wavelength?

I need more (colourless) coffee....

TickTockMan

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 06:14 pm
@No0ne,
"Blue" is not really a color. It's a word.

xris

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 03:14 am
@TickTockMan,
I have just looked out the window and it is blue...who said it was not?are they mad?..Reality is what we make it and when we say the sky is blue everyone knows what they mean..its blue..Grass smells green...

thysin

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 03:22 am
@xris,
xris wrote:
I read somewhere that art experts have claimed a certain blue it appears was invisible to medieval man.The chemistry of the artist could have produced this colour but they never used it.It was a kind of magenta, i believe.
It makes you think did we recognise colours more clearly when we started appreciating beauty.We needed colour sense to distinguish poisons and subtle changes in shades of fruit.We might have learnt to recognise more and more the slight changes in shades of colour as we became more responsive to our surroundings.Just a thought.

On this note have you heard the study that shows people who often play high-action video games like FPSs have shown an increased ability(58% increase) to perceive fine differences in color contrast.

Action Video Games Improve Vision, New Research Shows

Pretty interesting.

Bones-O

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 05:12 am
@validity,
validity wrote:
I the perception of blue is linked to the wavelength range 450nm to 500nm by our consciousness. I do not think that wavelengths carry the property of colour. If it did then what is the colour of radio waves or gamma rays? If light coming from a source at the event horizon of the black hole, is percieved by an observer far from the black hole, as redshifted to infinite wavelength, what is the colour of an infinite wavelength?

Colour names are assigned to the visible spectrum only, names like radio, micro, IR, UV, X and gamma to other ranges. The colour of an infinite wavelength (zero frequency and so zero energy) would be... 'no'?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » The Sky Is Not Blue!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 03:37:18