The place of determinism and freedom in ethics

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Ethics
  3. » The place of determinism and freedom in ethics

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sat 13 Jun, 2009 01:42 am
THE PLACE OF DETERMINISM (AND FREEDOM) IN ETHICS
The question is often asked: If one accepts Determinism can there be a place for Ethics, since if every action is determined -- has a prior cause -- then we are not free, and cannot be praised for our morality nor for behaving ethically.

In response I would point out that a Formal-Axiological analysis shows that Extrinsically -- that is, in terms of the Extrinisic Value dimension -- determinism prevails because every effect has a cause; but Intrinsically -- in terms of Intrinsic Value -- there are spontaneous events (such as creative acts) so we conclude that 'Not every event has a cause.' {Note that I have here drawn a distinction between the concept, 'effect' and the concept 'event;. ...two different ideas.]

Thus freedom prevails. And we are determined to BE FREE. {Note the irony here.. I got this quip from Spinoza }

To take advantage of our freedom we should exercise creativity.

Hence, we see there is no inherent contradiction in looking to determinism for extrinsic issues, but holding to freedom for intrinsic matters. I believe free will and determinism are compatible.

And since -- as values go -- Intrinisc Value is worth far, far more than Extrinsic Value, it follows that freedom is more precious than all deterministic systems put together.

Were we determined to do that in advance? I seriously doubt it.

If there is some day a Science of Ethics - which will include the findings of the currently-existing, legitimate science of Moral Psychology (which among many other things informa us that we have, in our brains, a moral sense - a module that encourages moral behavior - it won''t be complete, nor will it solve every important ethical problem. Why?

As Bernard Shaw said: Every problem solved in science raises ten new ones.
(Of course, this applies to Philosophy as well.)

richrf

Reply Sat 13 Jun, 2009 10:05 am
@deepthot,
Hi there,

Thanks for posting the question.

First,

1) I believe that there is choice in direction (using Will), not in outcome.
2) That there is evidence of choice -

http://www.philosophyforum.com/forum/philosophy-forums/branches-philosophy/philosophy-mind/4730-example-free-will.htm

3) There spontaneous creativity occurs when when is asleep.

But, in answer to your question,

I believe that the simply answer is that in a Deterministic framework, one can easily argue that Ethics are determined by all that previously happened and influenced your present state. The whole problem with determinism, is that it does not explain either:

a) where the whole darn thing began?
b) why differences (uniqueness) exist?

Rich

l

deepthot

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2009 07:12 pm
@richrf,
richrf;68791 wrote:
Hi there,

Thanks for posting the question.

..Determinism does not explain : ...why differences (uniqueness) exist?
l

You are very welcome. Glad you liked that topic.

You write: Determinism does not explain why differences (uniqueness) exist?
Why does it have to explain that? Can''t it be true (in its place) and different outcomes still occur, and unique creatures still have reality?

richrf

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2009 09:33 pm
@deepthot,
deepthot;69280 wrote:
You are very welcome. Glad you liked that topic.

You write: Determinism does not explain why differences (uniqueness) exist?
Why does it have to explain that? Can''t it be true (in its place) and different outcomes still occur, and unique creatures still have reality?

Hi,

I think if you do a thought experiment, and traced back all events to some singularity, determinism would have to explain what caused the forward series of events, and how did uniqueness occur, since every event and action, starting from the beginning, in a deterministic setting, would necessarily have to be the same.

In my metaphysics, the Individual Consciousness (Will), can change direction, therefore creating unique events.

I hope that this is clear.

Rich

Holiday20310401

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2009 10:41 pm
@richrf,
Determinism and freedom have nothing needed to do with each other. Freedom is just a feeling. If determinism takes that feeling away, well, I don't know what to say other than there is worse knowledge to know, I think.

deepthot

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 12:28 am
@richrf,
richrf;69314 wrote:
Hi,

I think if you do a thought experiment, and traced back all events to some singularity, determinism would have to explain what caused the forward series of events, and how did uniqueness occur, since every event and action, starting from the beginning, in a deterministic setting, would necessarily have to be the same...rich

A buddy of mind who labels himself "a Determinist" explains that while time is a human invention,the universe always existed (in his view), and that it had the potential to evolve in an infinite number of ways, and that maybe it did and there are multiple universes - of which we are unaware. We only know something of our own. So he still holds to "every effect has a cause", but he has lately widened his perspective (perhaps due to the influence of his pal) to allow that maybe there are spontaneious events.

In fact, as a chemist he agrees sully that radio-active disintegration of the rare metals occurs as spontaneous (totally-unpredictable) events. Hence there is no doubt about that when it comes to Nuclear Chemistry. As it applies to human individuals, when we are completely playful, and/or creative, (or like the eccentric geniuses), we are liable to do anything !

A certain fellow whose name begins with H (and ends with y) may be a possible exception, but I am not here going to get into personalities; this is, after all, a philosophical discussion. ------:shifty:

When he runs down the street, or leaves a country to go on vacation, or to tour, he may say: "It is just a feeling I have that I am free to move about. I'm not really free."
And when the people in The Solidarity Movement in Poland resisted the oppressive Soviet government, he would likely assert: "They were not freely following their consciences. They just felt they had this thing called "freedom" as a goal to pursue. There is no such thing." ...The same for the people of Ukraine, or the people of Iran today. They all are just kidding themselves, he would claim.

richrf

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 07:51 am
@deepthot,
deepthot;71630 wrote:
A buddy of mind who labels himself "a Determinist" explains that while time is a human invention,the universe always existed (in his view), and that it had the potential to evolve in an infinite number of ways, and that maybe it did and there are multiple universes - of which we are unaware. We only know something of our own. So he still holds to "every effect has a cause", but he has lately widened his perspective (perhaps due to the influence of his pal) to allow that maybe there are spontaneious events.

In fact, as a chemist he agrees sully that radio-active disintegration of the rare metals occurs as spontaneous (totally-unpredictable) events. Hence there is no doubt about that when it comes to Nuclear Chemistry. As it applies to human individuals, when we are completely playful, and/or creative, (or like the eccentric geniuses), we are liable to do anything !

A certain fellow whose name begins with H (and ends with y) may be a possible exception, but I am not here going to get into personalities; this is, after all, a philosophical discussion. ------:shifty:

When he runs down the street, or leaves a country to go on vacation, or to tour, he may say: "It is just a feeling I have that I am free to move about. I'm not really free."
And when the people in The Solidarity Movement in Poland resisted the oppressive Soviet government, he would likely assert: "They were not freely following their consciences. They just felt they had this thing called "freedom" as a goal to pursue. There is no such thing." ...The same for the people of Ukraine, or the people of Iran today. They all are just kidding themselves, he would claim.

Ah, yes. I like your points.

Quantum mechanics predicts spontaneous events which are confirmed in experiments. So, determinism must account for spontaneity and nothing emerging from something.

Rich

deepthot

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 05:47 pm
@deepthot,
-----"Nothing emergining from something?---------" ????

Dearhtead

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 05:47 am
@deepthot,
deepthot;68719 wrote:
THE PLACE OF DETERMINISM (AND FREEDOM) IN ETHICS
The question is often asked: If one accepts Determinism can there be a place for Ethics, since if every action is determined -- has a prior cause -- then we are not free, and cannot be praised for our morality nor for behaving ethically.

The determinism encourages us to act goodly.
We are not determined to act badly.

So when we goodly act we are not responsible; when we badly act we are responsible.

We know what is bad. So we are always the possibility to do not the bad.

deepthot

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 03:05 pm
@Dearhtead,
Dearhtead;72421 wrote:
The determinism encourages us to act goodly.
We are not determined to act badly.

So when we goodly act we are not responsible; when we badly act we are responsible.

We know what is bad. So we are always the possibility to do not the bad.

Hi, Dearhtead

What you write is quite profound. I will have to give it lots of thought, to see if I comprehend the ramifications of it, and to see if I can incorporate it into my ethical paradigm, my system.

What is the reasoning behind your conclusion that just because we know the (morally) bad, we "always (have) the possibility to avoid committing bad actions?

You say: "Determinism encourages us" to do good - or to be good. Is this merely an assumption, or is there a way to prove this somehow?
Are you just proposing it for our acceptance, or does it follow from some earlier premisses which are external to the discussion, and which are more neutral and easier to accept? Please explain why you say this.

richrf

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 09:47 pm
@deepthot,
deepthot;71892 wrote:
-----"Nothing emergining from something?---------" ????

It is part of quantum theory. I think it stems from Wheeler's space foam concept. Anyway, here is an interesting experiment in this regard:

Photon's life cycle 'watched' in full - physics-math - 14 March 2007 - New Scientist

deepthot

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 07:02 pm
@richrf,
Hi Rich,

I think you meant to say: "Something emerging out of nothing..." But that would not be quite accurate.

The article in The New Scientist to which you refer says: "Photons appear and disappear randomly within the cavity due to tiny energy fluctuations in space that cause quantum particles to blink in and out of existence."

They appear "due to tiny energy fluctuations in space", and the space may not be a pure vacuum. Hence they are not appearing "out of nothing" as you may have wanted to claim.

richrf

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 10:14 pm
@deepthot,
deepthot;72905 wrote:
Hi Rich,

I think you meant to say: "Something emerging out of nothing..." But that would not be quite accurate.

The article in The New Scientist to which you refer says: "Photons appear and disappear randomly within the cavity due to tiny energy fluctuations in space that cause quantum particles to blink in and out of existence."

They appear "due to tiny energy fluctuations in space", and the space may not be a pure vacuum. Hence they are not appearing "out of nothing" as you may have wanted to claim.

Wheeler posits that it would happen in a vacuum. But it is sufficiently interesting at this point of time that they actually observed photons emerging and disappearing. In time ...

Rich

deepthot

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 03:55 pm
@richrf,
richrf;72935 wrote:
Wheeler posits that it would happen in a vacuum. But it is sufficiently interesting at this point of time that they actually observed photons emerging and disappearing. In time ...

Rich

Yes, I agree. That is intensely interesting.

The Big Bang was originally thought to be "something out of nothing," but more recent thinking views it as being preceded by a massive Black Hole, the theory being that our known universe will one day all fall into another Black Hole; which will then result in a Big Bang; etc., ad infinitum.

In other words, oscillation is a fundamental principle - occurring on the sub-atomic level as well as on the cosmological level.

In the meantime let us enjoy our freedom !

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Ethics
  3. » The place of determinism and freedom in ethics
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/21/2024 at 04:11:48