If God was a member of the forum

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » If God was a member of the forum

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2008 10:18 pm
I think we can all come to agreement on how we view God as being a perfect being in some sense, a divine of he ultimate kinda thing. I'm not asking for your opinion of God's existence or actuality, just what it would be like if it was a member of the forum. ( Lets also look at the 'forum' as a symbol for community, society ).

When I thought about this I came to the conclusion that God's moral perfection keeps God from showing any experiential mingling with humanity. (that is, if God exists).

• If you had a question who would you turn to for answers? If you decided that you didn't want to hear perfection then you would be excluding God any therefore giving it no reason to be on the forum.
  • If you wanted an opinion would God be able to provide you with any or would God's perfection be able to establish the truth. What is saner; humanity's certainty allowing for doubt and therefore theory and progress, or humanity's automatic truth unveiled.
  • You would realise that the reason for turning to God is lost in the very essence of God's reality. You would mingle with God for its potential so as to have a higher potential in society. But what potential is that when everyone else will turn to God the same way you would. (I'm not saying you would of course). Therefore everyone's potential, purpose, and humanity's very meaning becomes lost because of the nature for our obsession to strive for perfection; once we have it within our grasp without having to reach for it we as a society become insane. Yet the idea of striving for perfection to me is what make us sane.
  • The only reason why we'd allow ourselves to mingle with God if a member of the forum would be for irrationale reasons therefore logic can't be our intentions in this scenario. Our will would be taken over by emotion and ego which if the majority of our intent is controlled by, would make us all insane.Sad

MySiddhi

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 01:01 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401 wrote:
Therefore everyone's potential, purpose, and humanity's very meaning becomes lost because of the nature for our obsession to strive for perfection; once we have it within our grasp without having to reach for it we as a society become insane. Yet the idea of striving for perfection to me is what make us sane.

Who could possibly grasp the present without an intensity?

VideCorSpoon

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 01:48 pm
@MySiddhi,
God would be one of those members that signed on at the very beginning, gave a vague introduction and didn't post again, though you could possibly reach it (God) through personal messaging.

Why? If god did post anything, it would (among other things) denote some level of partiality. And partiality is a flaw. If God is a perfect being, he could not be partial. I've been partial to the view of God in the way Aristotle thought of God, an unmoved mover (of which, note the irony of me being partial... which would mean both I myself am flawed and further my potentially problematic conception as well).

Holiday20310401

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 10:00 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
The next time somebody refers someone to join this forum tell that person to name their account "God". lol.

one-philosophy

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 02:36 am
@Holiday20310401,
God would say something simple and easy to understand. According to some passages of bible, God does not cause confusion. Rather, that is the devil as it is he who causes confusion....
....My brain hurts

FatalMuse

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 04:22 am
@one-philosophy,
If God exists, he is already a member of this forum in that he is represented by every individual member.

andykelly

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 06:55 am
@FatalMuse,
FatalMuse wrote:
If God exists, he is already a member of this forum in that he is represented by every individual member.

Took the words right out of my mouth except I have no doubt there's a God - the only question I really have is the true nature of God.

Fido

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 04:50 pm
@andykelly,
Perfection. I wouldn't know it if I saw it, but it is a jinx word to me. I ask people not to use the P word around me. I do like what the Muslims say, that only Allah is perfect, and I like that they avoid perfection as sacrilage. Such things as perfection are infinites, and are an object of essholes. Perfection cannot be reached, but it can make a lot of people miserable. If Good enough is really good enough for us, it must be good enough for God. And I have never heard of God, perfect, or otherwise ever asking perfection from people. Asking some one to be better does not drive anyone further away from perfection, as an infinitely distant ideal; but the impossible task often does. So, and in conclusion; I don't think you can prove a perfect God any more than you can prove a God, and if God does exist on some level, Then God does not need proof, is beyond proof, or before it, and is beyond conception, as perfect or otherwise. I think you can prove in your life and in others that perfection is a goal well worth avoiding. It has ruined more lives than bad coffee and cigarettes.

midas77

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 05:07 pm
@MySiddhi,
If God is a member of this forum, I think he will just lurk around reading post as if a guest. I don't think he will ever post for it will certainly create factions around us making us unitarians, methodists, orthodox, catholics, moslems etc. To avoid making us cut its other throat, he might adhere himself to silence. And if he ever post, he will just be GOD RANDOM saying Da and Ja for any question, us not knowing whether by Ja he means false or true.

My first question to God is the winning lottery combination.

Fido

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 08:44 pm
@midas77,
midas77 wrote:
If God is a member of this forum, I think he will just lurk around reading post as if a guest. I don't think he will ever post for it will certainly create factions around us making us unitarians, methodists, orthodox, catholics, moslems etc. To avoid making us cut its other throat, he might adhere himself to silence. And if he ever post, he will just be GOD RANDOM saying Da and Ja for any question, us not knowing whether by Ja he means false or true.

My first question to God is the winning lottery combination.

That answer is easy. Don't play, and if you get another chance, don't play twice.

Victor Eremita

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 02:06 am
@Fido,
No disrespect to any of you guys here, but if God (the deity, not just some guy named God) was a member of this forum, I think the universe is in big trouble.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 02:22 am
@Fido,
Quote:
not knowing whether by Ja he means false or true.

If you're German, that God might be marvelously forthcoming. Oh, or if your Rasta, he's repeating his own name, a suggestion to focus and stop asking questions - especially questions about the lotto.

midas77

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 03:23 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
If you're German, that God might be marvelously forthcoming. Oh, or if your Rasta, he's repeating his own name, a suggestion to focus and stop asking questions - especially questions about the lotto.

Just playing around Didy and Fido. i am not German though, I'm just alluding to another thread in the Forum about a logical problem God Random. Cool.Smile

Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 05:48 pm
@midas77,
Quote:
Just playing around Didy and Fido. i am not German though, I'm just alluding to another thread in the Forum about a logical problem God Random. Cool.

I know - and my post was a joke, too. I recall the thread you mention.

Aedes

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 08:42 am
@Holiday20310401,
If God were a member of the forum he'd hate the Philosophy of Religion section and would post nasty messages flaming the users.

He'd think the metaphysics section was amusing, but honestly he'd spend most of his time posting in the Popular Culture threads.

socrato

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 09:48 am
@FatalMuse,
FatalMuse wrote:

There is only one god!!:p

Fido

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 12:05 pm
@socrato,
socrato wrote:
There is only one god!!:p

And isn't that odd? Especially since no ones god is like another. Ones a brother, and another a mother. How can we say there is but one when with our counting we're never done?

Fido

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 12:07 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
If God were a member of the forum he'd hate the Philosophy of Religion section and would post nasty messages flaming the users.

He'd think the metaphysics section was amusing, but honestly he'd spend most of his time posting in the Popular Culture threads.

There is no real philosophy of religion. There is theology, but it deals with unrealities, and it broke with philosophy long ago.

one-philosophy

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 12:36 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
And isn't that odd? Especially since no ones god is like another. Ones a brother, and another a mother. How can we say there is but one when with our counting we're never done?

As a muslim I have to accept there is only one God full stop that hasn't any brothers rivals or equals etc etc.

YouTube - Surah Al Ikhlas

Say "God is just one,
sustainer of everything that exists,
He does not beget (take sons or heirs), nor is he begotten (the heir or son to anything.
Any to him there is no equivilent/comparison."

Basically, God has no brother, no mother, no master. God is supreme above everything.
Anyway, I think I light be going a little :offtopic:so I'll cut it there.

de Silentio

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 01:59 pm
@Holiday20310401,
If God were a member of this forum, the forum would totally change face. There would be no more room for discussion, since he would just give us all the answers.

Oh yeah, and we would probably encounter extreme lag times, because everyone with an Internet connection would want to be a member.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » If God was a member of the forum
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 03/28/2024 at 07:28:26